How about crochet valentines? I used a modified version of the heart pattern found in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Crochet Today. The crochet hearts in the magazine are coasters. They are larger (12 rows and edging) and do not include a hole in the center. Here are my variations on the pattern to make a hanging heart valentine.
Crochet Hearts Pattern
- To begin – Row 1: Ch 2, 6 sc in ring – 6sc. (this creates the hole in the center)
- Work ONLY rows 2-7 of the pattern found in the magazine. See magazine clip below.
- After completing row 7: you’ll need to finish the edges between the two humps at the top of the heart. I picked up stitches to single crochet. I just eye-balled the hearts to judge the number of stitches. Bind off after you’ve smoothed out the humps.
- I used Sugar ‘n Cream Pinky Stripes yarn. I picked up the ribbon at the same store where I purchased the yarn.
- I delicately washed and blocked the hearts and that gave them a nice firm shape.
I plan to mail my sweeties each a heart. At Staples, I found the packaging, kind of a cardboard square envelope, that is just the right size. Also, I was able to decorate the outside of the envelope.