This is a simple, fast, and healthy vegetarian dinner to make. You can add more flavor to the recipe by using a more exotic marinara sauce and fresh herbs. The recipe was found in Real Simple, issue May 2010.
- 20 jumbo pasta shells (about half a 12-ounce box)
- 1 24-ounce jar marina sauce
- 2 15-ounce containers ricotta
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella (4 ounces)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 fresh oregano leaves, chopped
Set an oven rack to the highest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and run under cold water until cool.
Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of a large broilerproof baking dish.
In a bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (fresh herbs if you have them go in at this step too). Spoon the mixture into the shells and place them on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and bake until the shells are heated through, 10-12 minutes.
Increase heat to broil. Broil the shells until the cheese begins to brown, 2-5 minutes. Serve with salad.